Thursday, September 2, 2021

I don't do the horns gesture

 

I've been a metalhead since my single digits.  I loved it every time I heard it, I didn't know records of metal existed.  I was not exposed to it since I grew up in a conservative household.  I'm not rightist/conservative/Republican nor leftist/liberal/Democrat, I'm more independent in case y'all are wondering.  I didn't get an actual physical copy of a metal record until my 10th birthday.  I received Metallica's Master of Puppets on CD as a gift from my twin cousins Brett & Christopher.  They also gave me Pearl Jam's Ten.  I disliked that album majorly, I was happy to give that away to my brother's friend Mike. Anyhow, why I am against horns?  Now I will say this, I personally do not do the horns ever.  If you do the horns, I'm not gonna stop you from doing that.  Go right ahead, do the metal horns gesture.  There's actually only one known picture of me doing the horns (see below) and that was when my close friend Kevin Monahan was passed out.


Now why don't I do the metal horns gesture anymore?  I feel it is used way too much and it looks super cringey when I do it.  I will do the peace sign out of shear rebellion.  I'm a peaceful person and I'm at peace.  Here's one huge major secret that I need to confess to you all.  I am a hippie.  I happen to be a hippie who loves heavy metal (especially the more extreme side of metal).  There ya go!  I know in a past life I was a hippie since I remember being so attracted to hippies back when I was around 4 or so.  Amazingly my hair was a bit long when I was around the ages 3-5, my mother simply loved my hair a lot and didn't want me to get it cut.  I did get it sadly cut over time.  Remember, I grew up in a conservative household.  I also happen to have very curly/frizzy hair.  Now of course, you are still metal if you have short-medium length hair.  I know older metalheads with no hair at all or a little hair due their genetics not allowing them to have hair due to balding.  I'm sort of balding now as I'm getting older, my hair is getting thinner.  My mom used to cut my hair to make it look good.  I'll have to share those pictures if I can find them.  They're in boxes somewhere in my garage.

Of course, you might call me the biggest poseur in the whole entire universe for admitting/confessing the stuff I said above.  Oh well, too bad.  You are most likely calling yourself a poseur while are you calling me a poseur.  I guess I'm highly based person.  Sorry, but there was a point in time where metal didn't have this horns gesture.  I do know that Geezer Butler is one of the first, if not the first metal musician/figure to use the devil horns.  However, it didn't catch on.  Then it got popularized by a certain singer us metalheads know and love.  For some weird reason, this hand gesture blew up and become the universal sign of metal & rock.  I know it was due to Mr. Ronnie James Dio (R.I.P.).  He would use this hand gesture on stage at his live performances.  The audience noticed this and then they started doing this hand gesture.  I think he told his audience do it.  I dunno, I'm not a Dio expert.  He rocks, love his music.  However, he started something that spiraled out of control.  I know he learned this gesture from his grandmother and he thought it was cool if I'm not mistaken.  That's nice.

When I viewed a photo of Justin Bieber throwing the "rock sign", this majorly influenced me not to throw the so-called "rock sign" anymore.  Of course in the metal world, he would be called a poseur.  Bieber is a poseur, definitely a poseur for doing that since he's not actually a metalhead.  I don't know Bieber personally, but maybe he's a metalhead.  I have no idea.  If he is a metalhead, cool.   Now I'm Italian and I do know it is an Italian thing.  I'm not 100% sure, but it wards off evil spirits or something?  I forgot exactly.  I was told never knew to do this wicked hand gesture by mother and I guess I listened to her too much to the point where I didn't do it.  I did do it out of rebellion though.  She grew up with Italians since her family married into Italians.  Then she wound up marrying an Italian man (my father).  I'm not sure if the devil horns is a good thing with Italians or is it a bad thing with Italians?  Someone please let me know in the comments.  Thank you.  I would say nowadays it has become a positive thing.  It lets other metalheads know you're a metalhead.  I'll simply wear a metal shirt or something else that will identify myself as a metalhead.

Now here's where it gets strange for me.  I'm a Satanist.  I'm actually a spiritual Satanist if you wanna be precise.  Satanists (in most branches of Satanism?) do throw the horns.  I know they do this in the LaVey  branch, which I have very little to no respect for, to me it's atheism with extra steps and it's lame.  I think that weird wacky Satanism branch that caused some controversy years ago with their statue also throw the horns.  I dunno, whatever.  There's other contexts with this horns gesture.  Like I know the "Illuminati" (which I don't believe in) does this.  I have a circle of friends that are against "the illuminati".  I look absolutely ridiculous throwing the horns.  Texas Longhorn fans throw it up at games to show support for the Longhorn players.

Here's the thing.  You can still be a metalhead and not do the horns.  There is an alternative hand gesture which is called "the claw".  Very little documentation exists of the claw hand gesture.  I do that instead of the horns gesture and I encourage all metalheads to use this as an alternative.  It looks much cooler to me.  In the very deep dark depths of the underground metal scene, they would do this instead of the devil horns.  The devil horns is more of mainstream thing.  The underground metal listeners did/do the devil horns, but then I would guess there's others who don't.  I have to be in a small minority of metalheads who do not throw the metal horns at all.  I know the last time I did was at an Atheist concert back in 2009.  It was due to the energy and so many other people doing it at that concert.  I did not do it too much though.  I have zero intentions on throwing the horns from now on.  I recall my friend Marshall in the late 2010's back in the late 2010's sort of forcing me to do the metal horns gesture outside of a bar we frequented, but thankfully it was never capture on film.  Hah!

I have a feeling a lot of so-called metalheads do this hand gesture that makes think they are metal.  Then in their hearts, they are not.  I'm ultra based for not doing this gesture.  If you are a true metalhead, make sure it comes from the heart and stuff.  Throw those horns.  I have zero problems with people using this gesture.  It easily lets me know they are into metal.

That's pretty much everything I wanted to say on this topic.  I might have to edit some things since the grammar and spelling might not be good.  Do you do the devil horns?  Why?  How come?  I have nothing against you if you do.  Got a story you wanna share?  Please comment, thanks!  I love feedback!  Have a rad day/night!




No comments:

Post a Comment