Wednesday, August 21, 2019

What happened to hejhog?

This blog entry is about a somewhat known YouTuber from 2007.  His name was hejhog.  I know little about this up and coming (at the time) YouTuber, but I do remember drama surrounding him with a YouTube terms of service/community guidelines rule that never got enforced.  It was enforced some time in 2007 and who knows who reported him for being under 13.  YouTubers such as him and galipoka happened to be under 13, but they had highly entertaining videos.  There's lowlife energy forms I do not want to mention, but they are probably likely to blame why hejhog's YouTube career was cut tragically short.  These younger YouTubers did random stuff on video and they were even better than Shane Dawson.  YouTube was a much different animal in its first years.  Technically, if you were a person under the age of 13, you needed a parent or guardian to start up a channel to supervise the channel.  These days, you do have some persons under 13 who do have responsible and caring parents that run channels that feature their children.  Then you had hejhog and galipoka, their parents didn't supervise their channels.

The moral of the story is if you're under 13 and you seriously want a YouTube channel, make sure you get your parents' or guardian's permission first.  They will be more than happy to assist you with your channel (unless they object, but nowadays I don't think they will).  Do not end up like hejhog or galipoka.  A few of his videos have survived and have been reuploaded over time.  YouTube was a bit more lenient back then.  I don't know when hejhog started exactly, I came across him a bit later in 2007.  Then you got some people who were nerds who also happened to be tattletales.  These people got hejhog and galipoka in trouble.  Strangely, they never got Drew Monson (aka mytoecold) in trouble... I'll talk about him in a future blog entry.

Here's a perfect example of hejhog's creativity and zaniness at work.  This dude was brilliant and he should have been a huge YouTube star at this point in time.  However, he tried 2 more times after his original channel got suspended.  He went by "hejhog2" and that was ill-fated.  He reuploaded most if not all of his videos.  He eventually turned 13 at some point in October or November 2007.  He went with his 3rd channel, 3rd time's a charm, right?  Wrong, he decided he had enough and then moved on.

Here is the last known video of hejhog.  This is off his last known channel, which did not get deleted since he made it at the minimum age for creating a channel by himself without parental supervision.  He went by the username oybutoy.  He has not logged in for several years.  The last thing he did was favorite a video.  He hasn't been seen or heard from again on YouTube.  Perhaps, he goes by another name that I'm not aware of.  Today, that TOS/community guidelines rule is barely enforced, unless there's an obvious child who started up their own channel without the supervision of a parent or guardian uploads their videos.  I don't think you have tattletales anymore who report unsupervised child channels anymore.  Who knows, I have no idea.  The politics of YouTube is way too weird, especially since Google bought it.

So what happened to hejhog?  Does anyone know?  I used to be friends with him on YouTube.  Back then, you were able to add friends.  YouTube did away with the friend feature.  It was when I had my original username mickbynes.  I'm curious to know.  Every now and then when I meditate, I think of hejhog.  I miss this dude.  He's 24 going on 25 today, I'd honestly like to know how he is doing.  What became of him and I hope he's safe & well.  I do remember messaging him twice on YouTube, but he never messaged me back.  I know he probably couldn't respond due to the fact that he got a high volume of messages.  If you're reading this hejhog, please comment.   I'm not the only one here in Internetland who misses you.  We'd love to hear from you again!   If anyone else here knows about his whereabouts... please leave a comment.  Thank you!

2 comments: