Sunday, October 11, 2020

Happy National Coming Out Day!

 

Happy National Coming Out Day!  I mentioned in an earlier blog entry that I'd tell my story of coming out.  For those of you who know me, you know for a fact that I'm gay.  This is not news at all to you.  Most of you probably don't know the story of how I came out.

The story goes back to about August 2007.  I started to notice that I had a sexual attraction to the same sex.  In a way, I came out to myself at that point in time and nobody else knew until a few months later.  On March 23, 2008, I came out to my first partner (who I'm sadly no longer with today).  We were both ecstatic that day.  He was the only one I came out to and that was the day we decided to become partners.

October 5th, 2008 was the day I came out to everyone.  It was an easy decision and I had no real issues without it.  However, I remember pacing around my basement thinking about it and I was a bit nervous about it.  I remember being on the phone with my partner and I was telling him about myself coming out.  I think I wanted advice from him, because I know he came out around late October or early November of 2006.  The first person I came out to was my mom.  She was watching TV in the family room.  At first, she didn't believe me at all.  She actually refused to believe I was gay for a few years, she didn't accept me being gay until around 2014 or so.  I was disappointed by her reaction and my partner was disappointed as well.  At least nowadays, my mom accepts the fact that I'm gay.  Sometimes she thinks I'm bisexual or even pansexual, but I remind her that I'm gay.  I'm most comfortable with the gay label.

When I was going for group therapy (I wasn't there due to my homosexuality, it was for another reason) in 2008, I came out to the group and it occurred one day in October 2008.  It felt good coming out to them and they had no problem with it at all.  For most people I came across in my life, they do not have a problem with me being gay.  There were a 2-3 people online that did have a problem with my homosexuality, but I will not get into that.

I hope you all having a good National Coming Out Day!  For those struggling with coming out, you don't have to do it right away.  Take all the time you need and I'm sure things will turn out fine for you in the long run.  For me coming out was not a real difficult matter.

No comments:

Post a Comment